Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Dragon wakes and lashes out at whatever's nearest...

I'm awake again, by your puny human terms it was a long sleep this time, what a year maybe? Six months perhaps? It was a mere cat nap in my lifetime, nothing more than the human equivalent of sleeping off a big meal. But I awoke with a fury that only a dragon could have. An anger at my human companions and an even greater anger at myself for having human companions.

Why should a dragon have companions, friends if you will, that aren't also dragons? Are we not fooling ourselves that we can be friends to them and they to us? Isn't there something fundamentally incompatible about a dragon; an immense, fearsome, wise and immortal being befriending a human. A human with their mortality and humanity crammed into a soft package of emotions.

Why should we have anything in common, and why should I, a dragon, look upon a human as something I want as a companion? More to the point, why should a human want something immense, ageless and probably by their terms soul-less as a companion?

And I want to be fair to humans for a second here, isn't it not that humans aren't fit companions for dragons, but rather that dragons aren't fit companions for humans. What human wants to be around something so arrogant and righteous as a dragon? We preside over humanity like we are gods, though we know we are not. Immortality is just a cloak of godliness that disguises that curse of an unending life.

So I, dragon of dragons, realize that I'm just fooling myself with my human companions. It is no longer possible for me to separate their friendship from their fear of my wrath should they disagree with me. And I betray myself with my 'need' for humans as companions. For in the end when they walk from my lair, whether for a day or eternity, it hurts me. And it angers me that I should be hurt by this. For I am the wise, and the immortal; I should be able to give without taking and my pain is a betrayal not just to myself, but to humanity.

I say this and watch as my scribe trembles with the words he types. But, alas I know not if I have the strength and resolve to take steps to return to my solitary dragon ways. And though my great wisdom tells me I should not, must not, need these humans around me, my heart hurts at the thought of the loss.

Any why should a dragon need mortals more than mortals need a dragon?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Mr. Dragon.

Good to see you awake once more. I think that I would do well in the company of dragons.

I understand your scribe did well with his heart surgery. Yay!

Gee, I wish I could sleep for six months or a year at a time. Le sigh.

Cheers!

Signora Del Drago

3:16 PM  
Blogger The Ferret said...

Why exactly does your great wisdom state you should not have or desire the company of mortals, specifically humans? My second guess is that you specifically refer to your ages of experience and memories of human friendships and the loss of them and I put to you one query: Does losing the friendship truly outweigh the memories and joy from having it?

You did mention a few posts back how you feel that everything is balanced and I would hope that friendships with humans are balanced by the loss of them.

I humbly ask your forgiveness if this comes across as impertinent or rude in any way. I simply was unsure how else to express this question.

12:08 AM  
Anonymous スタービーチ said...

やっぱり楽しい出会いならスタービーチ!探したい相手のプロフィールを検索して理想の相手を見つけよう!

2:15 AM  
Anonymous ジャパンカップダート said...

第11回 ジャパンカップダート 2010 予想 オッズには抜け穴がある・・・現場スタッフによるデータ収集、さらに血統に関しても徹底して分析済み!出走馬の調整、展開を完全に読みきる!裏情報を独占公開

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home