Sunday, October 23, 2005

Life's Ups and Downs and the median that runs though all lives...

Ol' Jack's been away for a while, more sleeping in the lair, plus a little problem with an unavailable scribe. He needn't worry though, I won't be eating him anytime soon. He's amongst the few humans I call friends and that makes his far to valuable to eat. But in my last few days out of the lair, I've been reminded of a little incident that happened in my life at one time. No details on the incident, so if you are looking for juice go somewhere else.

One of the philosophies I live by is that there is a median happiness level that runs through all lives. That is, there is a certain amount of goodness and love that comes into all lives. What changes is the specifics and the levels of happiness. Some people live their lives close to the median. They have a little bit of happiness and very littles unhappiness to balance the equation. Then there are others that see mountain peaks and deep valleys in their happiness. But again, it all equals out, you get the valleys with the mountains, or you live in the flatlands. I hope you all are following.

But, you see this dragon is one that has seen the peaks of those mountains and I'm here to tell you that I can't live with out 'em, even if I have to explore the darkness of the valleys. And this leads to what sometimes may seem like a wreckless way of looking at life. I play with fire, I get burned, I move along.

So back to that incident, and there are no details forthcoming, just vagaries. This dragon gets himself into a situation, that he knows will probably end badly. Now there are chances it wont' and he trys to push things in a safe-ish direction, but the bad ending is never less than a good possibility. But the situation is very pleasant and makes him feel good, not just good but damn happy to be alive. So he pushes down that road, enjoying every minute while he can, but looking for the washout that is going to send him over the edge of a cliff. And the washout happens and he goes over the cliff and finds himself all beat up and bloody at the bottom of a cliff wondering 'what the hell was I thinking'.

Then the dragon slumps off and sleeps away a few months in his lair and comes out with a different perspective. Did the crash suck, yes? But, he has those memories, uncommon memories that most people and dragons will never have in their lifetime. And they may not make the crash entirely worth it, but they makes things not so bad. For once we've seen the view from the top of the mountain it's pretty darn hard to live life in the flatlands.

And this all doesn't mean that this dragon will be bounding up any mountains anytime soon. But it doesn't mean he regrets the mountains and valleys in his past. Or maybe he regrets the valleys, but accepts the fact that he chose those regrets.

And now I go to sleep off the dark mist rising from the valley...

Jack Dragon

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning! Nice to see you awake. ;)

11:26 AM  
Blogger Jack Dragon said...

Thank you, it's nice to noticed, not that dragons usually have that problem. We are pretty noticable.

1:47 PM  
Blogger The Ferret said...

I am sorry to hear of the recent valley you encountered but at the same time am happy to hear you reached the peak.

I like your philosophy as it runs very closely to one of many that governs my own life. Which simply states that "To experience the greatest highs you must also accept the deepest lows." I find that often helps me through my own darkness since I don't have the benefit of easing pain through sleep like yourself.

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home