Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Solitude, Companionship, Community

Way back when I was still a young dragon I used to spend some time with what humans would call a grandfather. Now this is generally quite unusual since we dragons don't do the family thing so well. As a result it is especially unusual for a dragon to actually know another dragon two generations in any direction on his family tree. But, I did no my grandfather and he was a dragon to be admired. The whys of that shall wait for another day.

Sadly my grandfather died when I was still young in dragon terms. It was the first of four great losses that would profoundly effect my life as a dragon. The fourth of these is so very recent that the scar is still swollen, angry, and painful to touch. As for my grandfather, he left behind a serious of journals describing his last few years as a dragon. It was these journals that would be my inspiration for this blog, though I still do not know who it was that scribed them. Dragons can't use pens or pencils on account of our great paws and all. I imagine he hired a scribe who disappeared not long after his death. But that doesn't matter at least not now.

There was so very much wisdom in those journals, that it made my big dragon heart all the heavier with loss and regret. Among this wisdom, I culled some of the best and memorized it as best I could. And today the wisdom I intend to share is this; "I have three chairs in my house; one for solitude, two for companionship, and three for community." which is a paraphrase or a restatement of something Thoreau said: "I have three chairs in my house; one for solitude, two for friendship, and three for society." I can't tell you why my grandfather rephrased it or even if it was he or my flawed memory which changed the wording, but I have always gone by the non-Thoreau wording and that is what I shall post on today.

We all (dragons and people) live lives mixed with some combination of these three social groupings; solitude, companionship and community. I believe that the balance we strike between the three paints are lives and creates the setting for the story we play out over our lifetimes. I also believe that a balanced mix of the three inecessaryry for mental and emotional health. This from a dragon who often sleeps away months of his life, probably not the best litmus test for mental health. I have so very much to say on this topic, more than I realized when I launched into this post. I will break it down amongst several posts with this one just scratching the surface. Maybe that will lead my adoring fans, assuming anyone reads the ramblings of this old dragon, wanting more each day.

Let us then start with definitions. Solitude is being alone and true solitude is being completely alone. Away from other people and dragons, of course, but also away from pets and all but writtecommunicationsns. One can find solitude anywhere, but not enough peoplactuallyly seek it out. Companionship obviously involves others, but ismallal intimate groups. I honestly believe that true companionship only happens one on one and few people have great numbers of companions, though many like to think they do. Community is about larger groups, of less related, more casual people working towards a common goal. This goal doesn't have to be anything special, it could just be making a meal or having fun.

And with that 'ol Jack is going to wrap up for today. For anyone who has been tracking my moods lately, I think this Dragon is on the upswing. We will see what the days ahead have in store. And with that I am off to enjoy some solitude. Though if you are reading this, it would serve a Dragon's ego good to know that he isn't just writing into a black hole.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is quite simply profound. I remember I lost a very dear rabbit relative when I was smaller. Of course, I'm not very big now, but I still miss my Aunt. Thanks again, Jack. Your post brought back some memories.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Jack Dragon said...

Ah, little brown rabbit my fan. Thank you for your comments. I am sorry about your aunt, but glad to bring back some good memories.

10:43 PM  
Blogger The Ferret said...

I can relate in the feeling of the angry red scars loss can leave on oneself. I prefer your wording over Thoreaus as to me society means something very different from community. Though I'm sure you've recognized at this point you are indeed not speaking into a void, or at least if you are know that others are hearing your words and they resonate.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home